About Nick Hulea
2017-PRESENT J. Paul Getty Museum and Trust - Software Engineer
- Internal Project Dashboard to monitor project development and milestones - Frontend: Vue, Vue-cli, Vuex, Vue-Router Backend: Wordpress, WP Rest API
- Ongoing project of implementing Elastic Stack for internal/external search and APM - Backend: Apache Nutch, Elastic Stack Frontend: Vue, Vue-cli, Vue-Router
- Maintainer Getty Publications project Quire. Quire is a command line interface that converts markdown files into HTML, EPUB, MOBI and PDF. Quire leverages Nodejs for the CLI, Hugo (Static Site Generator GO templates), Pandoc (Files Converter), Prince XML (convert HTML to PDF). Quire adheres to strict accessibility standards of WCAG. Quire also has flexible deployment built in, deploy to your favorite serverless network.
- New Docent Website. The docent site was a major refactor since the last site was built 7 years ago. - Frontend: Vue, Vuex Backend: Wordpress, WP Rest API. The Wordpress site connects to a scheduling system and uses this data to create a custom experience for each user based on their role and schedule.
2013-2017 Natural History Family of Museums - Lead Digital Developer
- Project lead and strategist for all digital properties and projects
- Administrated several LAMP and MEAN systems on 3 servers (dev, stage, production)
- Managed multiple custom forms with PHP and NodeJS backends, secure processing and notification was always my highest priority.
- Integrated development between datasets from multi backends (MYSQL and MongoDB) and APIs.
- Made use of Google Maps API and JS Canvas API to create an interactive Google map tracking application with custom directional image of a Pterosaur that followed a predetermined path set in KML file that would finish on a given date
2012-2013 The Confluence Group - Creative Director/Web Director
- Responsible for 3D animation with 3Ds Max and Vray
- Created various promotional sites for our affiliates Frontend: Backbone.js Backend: NodeJS or PHP
- Retouched photos and edited promotional videos
- Maintained Drupal 7 database for a custom reporting dashboard for clients (Each client had their own private dashboard to view the stats from the advertising campaign)
- For data visualizations for reporting using D3.js and Highcharts.js.
2009-2012 Flaunt Magazine - Digital Design Director
- Controlled the flow of all visual media within Flaunt Magazine’s web and print media pipeline.
- Maintained a high performance server that ran a Drupal 6 and 7 instances
- Created advertising, cover, and special insert design
- Maintained and facilitated all technology at the office, including, large-format printers, web and LAN servers, cameras, computers, and software
- Organized and edited a large range of media types, from streaming video to 3D models and high-resolution graphics
- Built Drupal 7 module to make new optional frontend styles for content
- These features were created for the Southern California ACLU but were pushed to the national sites
- Built Promotional website for new show 'Black Jesus'
- The site receive several hundred thousand visits a month
Otis College of Art and Design Los Angeles, California 2002-06
Websites & Art
Creative, philosophical thinking based in logical and algorithmic coding experience and know-how to create unique solutions for all design and development problems. Expert knowledge of creative and development software in Linux, Windows and Mac.
- Ruby on Rails
CMS, Frameworks and Libraries
- Prince XML
- Apache Nutch
- Elastic Stack
- Certificate of achievement from Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa for revitalization project
- Folio Ozzie Award
- Best Overall Design, Consumer Silver Award - Flaunt Magazine April, 2010
- Best Cover, Consumer Under 250,000 Circulation Bronze Award - Flaunt Magazine: The Census Issue April, 2010